Fishing in South Down
If you are visiting South Down to fish in the many loughs, lakes and rivers as well as sea fishing then stay at Oakleigh House B&B near Newcastle. A comfortable night's sleep and a hearty breakfast will set you on your way for an enjoyable day.
A few places to fish
- Ballylough Lake, Annsborough...fly fishing only.
- Castlewellan Lake, Castlewellan Forest Park...brown and rainbow trout.
- Donaghaguy Reservoir and Mill Dam, Warrenpoint... brown and rainbow trout.
- Lough Island Reavy Club Water, Castlewellan...brown trout, pike and perch.
- Moneycarragh River, Dundrum.....sea trout and salmon in season.
- Quoile Basin, Downpatrick.....pike, perch, rudd, eels and brown trout.
- Shimna River, Newcastle.....salmon and sea trout.
Rod License and Fishing Permits
- Forest Office: Castlewellan Forest Park....028 4377 8664
- Four Seasons, Main Street, Newcastle....028 43725078
- Downpatrick Tourist Information Centre, 53 Market Street Downpatrick.....0284461 2233